Quick and Tasty Vegetarian Mustard Biscuits and Gravy
Is there anything more comforting and wholesome than biscuits and gravy? We think not. With the chilly weather and approaching holidays, this is the perfect easy family meal that can serve as breakfast, lunch OR dinner! (And brunch...and brinner...).
This recipe is also super duper easy which, quite frankly, is one of the main reasons why we love it. Comfort food should be comfortingly easy to make, after all! This is a vegetarian recipe, but can easily be made with meat-based foods.
To Make the Biscuits
- 2 1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons Portlandia Organic Mustard
- In a bowl, mix the flour and sugar
- Fold the shortening into the flour/sugar mix
- Add your cream and mustard, mix everything together
- Gently roll into 2-inch balls
- Bake for 10-12 minutes at 450 degrees F
To Make the Gravy
- 1/2 pound plant-based sausages or patties (4 total), we like Field Roast brand
- 1/4 cup self-rising flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk or non dairy substitute
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Portlandia Organic Worcestershire
- Cook the patties and set aside
- In the same pan as the patties, add your flour, milk and Worcestershire and whisk directly in the pan.
- Let it simmer for 5 minutes, then add the cooked sausage back in and add salt and pepper to taste. Pour over biscuits and enjoy!