Make In-N-Out Animal Fries at Home!
Just about anyone who has had the pleasure of going to beloved Los Angeles based In-N-Out Burger knows about their Animal Style Fries. Despite being a "secret" menu item, these delicious golden fries tossed in cheese, onions and Thousand Island dressing are a known cult classic.
Since In-N-Out Burger is (mostly) only available in the western states, you may find yourself jonesing for these tasty fries at home. We're happy to provide! They are actually pretty easy to make. We recreated them in the test kitchen last week and OH MAN, they did not disappoint. Bon appétit!
For the Fries:
- 32 ounces frozen french fries (we got ours from Trader Joe's)
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 4-6 American cheese slices
- 1 Tsp salt
- 1 Tsp teaspoon pepper
- Feel'n extra? Add a splash of Portland Organic Worcestershire!
For the Sauce:
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2½ Tbsp sweet pickle relish
- dash salt
- dash pepper
- dash garlic powder
- dash paprika
- Preheat your oven to the directions set on the back of the package of fries. Temp and cook time will vary.
- Place your fries on a cookie sheet and drizzle the butter on top. Set aside.
- Mix up your sauce ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Dice up the onion into small pieces and sprinkle them with the salt, pepper and optional Worcestershire sauce on top of your fries. Lay the cheese down on top.
- Pour the sauce mixture over everything.
- Following the bake directions on the fries, cook to perfection! We like to broil it just a tiny bit at the end so that the fries are crispy.
- Enjoy with a side of Portland Organic Ketchup!