Homemade Pizza with Ketchup Tomato Sauce
You know that feeling when you are craving easy comfort food that everyone will like but no one can agree on anything?
The answer is always pizza.
This pizza recipe is SO GOOD, and the best part? It provides a homemade meal using our very own Portland Organic Ketchup as part of the sauce. Plus it's a great option for picky eaters who seem to only want ketchup.
To make this recipe super simple, we used Trader Joe's ready made pizza dough. We also love their pre-made frozen crusts like the Cauliflower Pizza Crust if you want to go gluten-free. Having these things on hand makes it easier, but we've included a great recipe for the crust if you're feeling fancy.
How to Make the Pizza Sauce
In a medium bowl, stir together the following:
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tsp fresh basil (if dried use 1 Tsp)
- 2 Tsp fresh oregano (dried use 1)
- 4 cloves minced or crushed garlic
- 1/2 Tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp Portland Organic Ketchup
- Don't forget your favorite toppings! You'll want your mozzarella and a meat option for those who want one. We like to add some arugula and call it a night.
If you are using instant or pre-made dough, you will want to follow the directions on the package for baking, including the temp and length of bake.
For the Fancy Homemade Dough People
If you are making your own dough, here is a great recipe! The dough is nice and chewy, and only takes about 30 minutes.
- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 cup warm water (110 F, or 45 C)
- 2 ½ cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 450 F (230 C). Pour the yeast and sugar into a bowl and add the warm water. Let that sit until a bit frothy, about 10 minutes. If you haven't made the sauce yet, now is a good time.
- Once your yeast is looking frothy, add your flour, salt and oil. Stir until smooth. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and pat or roll into a round. Transfer the crust onto a lightly greased pizza pan. Add your sauce and choice of toppings.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.