French Onion Soup Comfort Food
Soups are a staple of the winter season, and February is a great time of year to bust out this French Onion Soup! It's gently caramelized, slightly tart and deliciously toasted and bubbly.
This meal is always delish, but is even better on a cold day after you've been outside for a long walk or had some exercise. Double up on the cheese and enjoy every bite!
- 4 large yellow onions
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp Thyme or 2 Tbsp fresh Thyme
- 1 Cup dry white wine
- 4 Cups Beef broth
- 4 Cups Chicken broth (low sodium)
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 Tbsp Portland Organic Ketchup
- 1 Tbsp Portland Organic Worcestershire
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- Dash of salt
- Smoked Mozzarella
- Gruyere Cheese
- French bread/ baguette or use your favorite gluten free bread!
- Portland Organic Mustard
- Peel and cut onion in half, then finely slice into rounds. Sauté the onions in batches with the stick of butter and thyme.
- Once the onions are sautéd, remove from heat and add your dry white wine. Heat on medium until the wine is reduced, about 5 minutes.
- Add beef broth, chicken broth, crushed garlic, Portland Ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, red wine vinegar + salt.
- In a separate small bowl, add 1 tbsp of your broth to 1 tbsp of cornstarch, mix and add back to your broth mixture.
- Slice and butter french bread or baguette and toast in the oven. Once toasted, spread a thin layer of Portland Organic Mustard on top.
- Shred equal amounts of the gruyere and mozzarella and mix together.
- Poor soup into small oven safe bowls or ramekins. Place toasted bread on top, then add a healthy amount of cheese! Set your oven to broil and bake until the cheese is nice and bubbly.
- Top with chives or green onion, serve and enjoy!