Classic Homemade Macaroni Salad
This recipe is a fresh take that we guarantee you'll return to again and again. We love all the fresh crunch from the onion, carrots and celery (it ALMOST makes it a vegetable side dish) and the cheese is a magic addition that lends to the creaminess and overall flavor satisfaction.
If you want this mac salad to be vegan, simply omit the eggs and cheese and use a vegan mayo! It’s still a deliciously satisfying side dish. You can also use gluten free elbow noodles if you prefer.
Serve at your next outside BBQ with our Easy Caramelized BBQ Chicken Thighs and enjoy as leftovers!
PS: It gets even better the next day!
- 16 oz elbow noodles
- 1 Cup celery, medium dice
- 1 Cup a white or yellow onion, fine dice
- 1 Cup carrots, medium dice
- 1 Cup dill pickles, fine dice
- 2 Cups high quality mayonnaise (this may seem like a lot but it’s a large salad)
- 1/3 Cup dill pickle juice
- 3 TB Portland Organic Yellow Mustard
- 1 tsp onion salt
- 1 TB dried dill
- 6 hard-boiled eggs chopped (we love extra though)
- AT LEAST 8 oz medium cheddar cheese cut into small 1/2 inch cubes (we prefer Tillamook, obvy), we always end up adding more
- Black pepper
- Cook the noodles according to package directions. We like to go for an al dente cook since the liquid and mayo will be absorbed eventually too.
- Drain the noodles and rinse under cold water. Allow to drain completely and cool before placing in a large mixing bowl.
- This is the easy part. Combine all remaining ingredients and stir. Keep stirring. Adjust seasoning to taste. We often like to combine everything and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours and come back to it. Adjust with extra pickle juice, onion salt and pepper.
- Store in an airtight container in your fridge. It will be good for several days but we would be surprised if it lasts that long!
Recipe Credit: Molly Boudreaux