Easy BBQ Chicken Fajitas
As many of you are aware, one of our passions here at Portlandia Foods is providing affordable, organic foods that bring people together. To that end, we are always on the hunt for good and easy recipes that nourish while remaining accessible and affordable!
We recently came across this BBQ Fajitas recipe from Lovely Little Kitchen. The promise of a simple, one skillet dinner with no fancy ingredients and fewer dishes in the sink had us intrigued. We jumped in the test kitchen to try it out!
Rather than using standard fajita seasonings, this recipe features caramelized onions and barbecue sauce to bring out a sweet, tangy flavor that is both surprising and satisfying.
One thing we love about this recipe is how many of these ingredients are probably already in your fridge or cupboard. Putting everything together is super simple, and...ya está! It is ready.
We loved making this easy recipe and the fajitas were super tasty!
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced thinly
- 1 red pepper, stem and seeds removed, sliced thinly
- 1 green pepper, stem and seeds removed, sliced thinly
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds chicken tenderloins, cut into cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup fresh or canned pineapple, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup Portland Organic BBQ Sauce
- Tortillas for serving
- Cilantro for garnish
1. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium high heat. Add onions and cook until they are soft and starting to caramelize. Add peppers, season with salt, and cook for 3-4 more minutes. Remove the pepper and onions from the pan into a separate bowl, and set aside.
2. Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the hot pan, then add chicken. Sprinkle the chicken with garlic powder and chili powder. Cook until chicken is no longer pink and completely cooked through the center, stirring occasionally. Turn heat to medium low.
3. Add pineapple, Portland Organic BBQ Sauce, peppers, and onions back into the chicken. Cook for 3-4 minutes until everything is heated through. Add additional salt and pepper according to taste.
4. Serve on warm, toasted flour tortillas with fresh cilantro if desired.
Please let us know if you loved this recipe too! Post your images on Instagram, and tag us with #PDXFoodsTestKitchen so we can share your work!
Credit: Lovely Little Kitchen